80s Theme Party Ideas
Whether it's an 80s theme party, or the 20s, 40s or 60s, any era makes for a fun and creative party theme.
- 80s Party Ideas For an 80s Prom Theme
- 80's Music
- 80's Party Entertainment and Games
- 80's Decorating Ideas
- What to Wear to Your 80's Party and 80s Costumes
For ideas on what to wear to an 80's party, look to the super stars of the day: Madonna, Molly Ringwald, Micheal Jackson, and the members of the "Brat Pack".
- Don Johnson white jacket with rolled sleeves
- Leg warmers over jeans
- Gloria Vanderbelt and Guess jeans
- Hair scrunchies
- Mini-skirts with opaque tights
- Bandana tied around one leg of pants
- Silver high heels with colored socks
- Scrunchy socks
- Big hair for ladies
- Men wearing one earring
- Oversized clothing
- Paint splatted shirts
- Reebok high tops
- Neon clothing
- Parachute pants
- Stirrup pants
Set the mood with the "Sixteen Candles" or the "Valley Girl" soundtrack playing in the background and be sure to decorate with lots of 80s themed items.
See our 80s Costumes page for a full selection of 80s costumes, and 80s t-shirts.
- Take on Me - Aha
- Sweet Dreams - The Eurythmics
- Man Eater - Hall and Oats
- Karma Chameleon - Culture Club
- Girls Just Want to Have Fun - Cyndi Lauper
- Like a Prayer - Madonna
- We've Got the Beat - Go Gos
- Love My Way - Psychedelic Furs
- Don't You (Forget About Me) - Simple Minds
- Dancing With Myself - Billy Idol
- Rock Lobster - The B-52s
80s Theme Party SuppliesGet games, music, 80s movies, posters, pop rocks, the works!
- Video Games: Dig up a vintage Atari game system for your TV so you can play 80s arcade games. Have a Pacman, Mrs. Pacman, Frogger, or Donkey Kong contest.
- Conversation Starter Questions Games: It's fun to have a few nostalgic reminders of the 80s for people to reminisce. Create a few note cards with funny facts about movies, music, and 80s culture. Place these around the room as conversation starters. Include fun ice breaker questions such as: "What was your favorite clothing trend of the 80s?", or "Who was your favorite band in the 80s?"
- Have a 1980's Scavenger Hunt: Create a list of popular 1980's items and have guests go on a scavenger hunt. Just think how hillarious this would be if guests were dressed in 80's outfits. You can even play a photo scavenger hunt by simply taking photos of the items on the hunt.
- Rubik's cube
- E.T. doll
- Anything with Star Trek on it
- An 80s CD
- Anything Neon
- Hello Kitty Item
- Aqua-net Hairspray
- Hair Scruncies
- A Members Only Jacket
- One more trick to make your 80s theme party rock: Remember those awesome snoppy snow cone makers of the 80s? They're still available at Toys are Us, but as an adult you can now add a little spiced rum to the already awesome blue or pink flavor.
Artifacts from movies such as ET, Pac-Man, Ghost Busters, and Karate Kid, coupled with a few lava lamps and bean bags set the stage for an 80s bonanza!
Most thrift stores have a virtual store house of 1980s paraphernalia. Once you're done with your 1980s party decor you can re-donate it so that someone else can enjoy these fantastic remnants of the past.
Popular 80's snack foods: Pop-rocks and jelly bellies, big red soda served with bendy straws, rice crispy treats, and pizza hut are fun additions to your 80's theme party.
This 80s theme party idea is especially fun for those of us who grew up in the 80's; parachute pants and Don Johnson jackets are finally back in style (at least for one night).
Return from 80s Theme Party to Creative Party Theme Ideas.