Kids Birthday Party Themes
Looking for hip or timeless kids birthday party ideas? Kids can be pretty fickle when it comes to their favorite things. Just because a toy or show was popular last year does not mean that it will be this year. This is the trouble when planning a children’s party.
In order to throw a party that is sure to please, you have to know what is trending right now!
Popular Girls' Birthday Party Themesby Jan Kremer
10 Fun Birthday Party Themes for Girls
Looking for a great idea for your daughter’s birthday party theme? No matter how old she’ll be this year, there are a variety of different themes that are nothing short of perfect. Here are just a few to get you started.
- Bake Shop Party – There are few things quite as exciting as baking, and this is one party the girls will all be excited to attend. If you have little ones, be sure to pull out the play kitchen for this one. If your daughter is slightly older, incorporate some baking fun. Let them decorate their own cupcakes or iced sugar cookies. Offer aprons, cupcake lip glosses, or cupcake notepads as a take home birthday favor gifts. Make sure they have a great time at the bake shop. Editor's Note, Chris Molnar has contributed his cooking party theme ideas here.
- Picnic Party – This makes a particularly fun choice if the time of year is right. There’s nothing quite like spreading out a picnic blanket under a shady tree for a great birthday party, but if it’s January, there’s no reason you can’t still stick with this theme. It will simply take a bit more work on your part. You may even want to include faux picnic food like a hamburger shaped cupcake or a cake shaped like a watermelon.
- Pajama Party – Coming to a birthday party in your pajamas is nothing short of exhilarating when you’re nine years old, so be sure to play it up. Make your invitations in the shape of sleeping bags, then do a craft reminiscent of the sleepover-style fun like decorating a pillowcase.
- Mermaid Party – Mermaids never seem to escape the imagination of little girls, and this party is sure to be a success whether you go with a big name Disney mermaid or just the idea itself. Decorate the table like the bottom of the ocean, and you could even have a sand castle building contest as one of your activities.
- Detective Party – Girls love a good mystery, and this is the perfect chance to incorporate some of her mystery favorites like Nancy Drew into the fun. Be sure to give out a good mystery book or bookmark as a party favor, and you may even want to bury a clue in each cupcake to help the kids solve the mystery.
- Fashionista Party – For this idea, you’ll want to be at the height of fashion, so try draping each girl with a boa as she comes in. You could easily decorate your table like a runway, then have the kids do fashion sketches instead of the traditional pin the tail on the donkey type activity.
- Princess Party – Even though the princess furor of the last few years seems to be finally dying down, this is a great way to help keep your daughter’s interest in fairy tales alive. Give each little girl a crown, and consider having a tea party like real princesses instead of a traditional birthday party.
- Fairy Party – They’ll fly to this party as soon as you pass out the wing shaped invites. Be sure to offer each girl a pair of fairy wings as she steps through the door. Having a bit of face painting too wouldn’t be a bad idea, either. You may also want to give each girl a magic wand with a cookie on the end as a favor.
- Ocean Wonderland Party – The dark depths of the ocean can make for a great birthday party. Include vintage fish nets in your décor for a bit of authenticity, then go with lots of sea life shaped cookies, cupcakes, and other party fare.
- Luau Party – This makes for a particularly fun party if your child’s birthday is in the cold winter months. Decorate your home with a lush tropical feel. Be sure to bring some hula hoops and some leis along. Serve tropical treats like grilled pineapple skewers to make it a bit more authentic.
As you try to come up with the theme that might be perfect for your daughter, make certain you tap into one that really interests both her and her friends.
About the Author
Jan Kremer is a mom and event consultant who has thrown numerous birthday parties for her own daughter as well as many other adorable little girls. Visit www.aagiftsandbaskets.com to find even more of her event planning tips, ideas for the awesome kids birthday gifts and fantastic party recipes.
Here are some hot birthday party themes for kids that are popular now or that never go out of style. Visit our links for in depth ideas for these parties, such as food and decorating ideas, free printables, and more!
Sure, this is likely a game you remember playing as a kid, but Mario is still king of video games. With new versions still being cranked out by Nintendo, Mario is as popular as ever.
A Mario themed party is pretty easy with all the decorations, costumes, and other products available that feature the famous Italian plumber and friends. Break out your child’s favorite Mario video games and let the kids have at them while dressed as their favorite characters. You can even make coins out of sugar cookies by adding some yellow food dye.
Kids Birthday Party Themes: Disney
This is another one that never goes out of style. There is no end to the products available for throwing a Disney party. The great thing about this one is that you can get specific to one movie or just keep it general.
Beauty and the Beast is more popular lately due to its recent re-release in 3D. Have the children watch their favorite Disney movies and play Disney themed games. For music, you can play the soundtracks from their favorite movies or listen to Disney radio.
One of the most versatile toys there is, Lego has remained popular for decades. They have also successfully branched out to include popular franchises such as Star Wars and Harry Potter as well.
A Lego themed party is a great idea because the children can come together and play with the Legos they already have while enjoying all of the Lego branded party accessories.
Some great activities are speed building competitions and a design competition where the kids all build a common thing and vote for the best entry. For a treat, you can even make a cake shaped like a Lego brick easily due to the simple shape.
Kids Birthday Party Themes: Pirate
Pirates never go out of style, especially for boys. Give them an ample supply of peg legs, eye patches, and swords then let their imaginations run wild. A great idea for a pirate party is a treasure scavenger hunt.
Give them a list of clues with each one containing a piece of a treasure map that leads to a treasure chest full of chocolate coins and small toys. A water balloon fight is another fun pirate activity.
Kids Birthday Party Themes: Karaoke
Kids just love to sing along to their favorite songs. So why not encourage them and let them be as loud as they want for a few hours? You can rent or buy a karaoke machine for them to use.
You can also buy sing-along video games that include a microphone for your game console. You can even do an American Idol style competition and let them vote on their favorite acts. Give out a prize to the winner.
Transformers Party Theme
This is a very popular theme lately. The popularity means it is easy to find costumes, decorations, and toys to fit the theme. A great activity for a Transformers party is to have a Nerf gun fight.
Have the kids divide into teams of Autobots and Decepticons and set up a capture the flag style game. Alternately, you could set up a water pistol fight.
Ice Cream Birthday Party Theme
Let’s face it; you cannot go wrong with kids and ice cream. Get a whole bunch of toppings such as fruit, nuts, sprinkles, cereal, and candies. Make sure to have several flavors of ice cream and maybe frozen yogurt.
Let the kids customize their own ice cream dish and give it a name. Make sure to lay down some plastic first because it is going to get messy. It is also a good idea to have plenty of outdoor games planned, as the kids will get pretty hyper.
There are great details on how to make this into a great kid’s party theme on the Candyland Party page.
Related Pages:Want more details on each of these party themes along with creative decorating, invitation, and party game ideas for kids?
Find all sorts of amazing birthday party themes for kids like Elmo birthday party ideas, Dora the Explorer Party, Toy Story Birthday Party, and dozens more kids birthday party ideas on the following pages.
- More Birthday Party Themes for Kids
- Pirate Party Games & Ideas
- Creative Party Themes for Adults and Children
Return from Trendy Kids Birthday Party Themes to Childrens Birthday Party Themes.
So the next time you are planning a children’s party, keep these great themes and activities in mind. If you do, you will be known throughout the neighborhood for your fun parties and great food.